Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Let me go

My stomach growls.

I'm thinking about traveling. I want to point on a map, pack my bag, take my friend along and go. If I wasn't a girl, I could possibly hitchhike my way to Mexico. Sleep on the road or on beaches, take rides from random people, be penniless to the absolute depths of what the word means. If I was a sanyasi, I would feel comfortable in my discomfort. If I was American, I wouldn't need a visa.

My stomach growls some more.

Where do I want to go? No that's the wrong question because really I want to go everywhere. Correction: Where can I go? Now, that is somewhat vague too. Possibly the best question to ask then is, where must I go?
Anywhere, regardless of safety, urban civilization, language. Little towns or villages anywhere in the world? No mobile, no money, no guarantee.

I have 30 minutes to class. My stomach just made a very loud noise.

I'm thinking of the exhilaration of fear and insecurity that accompanies any sort of un-structure. I've felt it at US border control, while walking in a dingy alleyway in Ladakh, while smoking behind a rundown building in Veles. They are not all the same though. Fear isn't unilateral.

It is 1pm and lunch is waiting. I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment