Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A summer's story

A week or so ago, I was sitting in a reflection group when we were asked to discuss a question: "what was the most inspiring moment in your summer?"

My brain ran around in a frenzy for a minute. What was I supposed to talk about? How was I supposed to explain just one unilateral moment to describe all the inspiration of this summer? More importantly, in describing what inspired me, I was bound to impart something intrinsic to who it is I am becoming - was I ready to take responsibility for this malleable, vulnerable me? Was I ready to present it to everyone else?

That's what this summer was - a shattering of my world in a gentle, enjoyable, sometimes extremely challenging way because Ladakh would not have it any other way. It stands out from the rest of India (as, one could argue, does the rest of India) yet in a gentle, non-imposing, subtle way and to everyone who visits there must be some lesson to take back.

I hitchhiked with a friend (both of us girls), volunteered at an alternative school, listened to the Dalai Lama speak, helped unearth victims from a flood site, trekked to remote villages and engaged with people, regardless of whether we had a mode of communication. There was a freedom, a flexibility to living life that I had been craving and this fulfillment renewed me and my struggle for life.

An establishment in the wonder of nature, of love, of humanity can alter the way in which we perceive reality. It can make the purpose of life seem worth the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment